Sunday, March 20, 2005

Welcome to My Blog

Finally!

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog for about two years now, ever since I first read my friend S@L 's blog (http://siliconsuburbs.blogspot.com/). Before then, I'm embarrassed to admit, I didn't even know what a blog was. I am not particularly savvy in what the "kids" are into these days. I don't have an ipod, I don't even know what a blackberry is (in fact I have referred to them as "raspberries" on more than one occasion.) I don't text message and I don't have a My Space page. I'm just so not down with it.

I often find myself wishing I had kept better records of things that have happened to me. While my life is by no means exciting, I wish I could go back and read what my thoughts were during various stages of my life: going off to college, going off into the real world, working for two years at a big city animal shelter, falling in love and getting married, traveling cross country in the back of a pick-up, and just all those little moments in between that fade from memory over time. Mostly I wish I had kept a journal when I became pregnant, because I never in my whole life thought I'd want kids someday. I love to go back and pinpoint precisely when that changed. I wish I wrote down every milestone, every cute thing my daughter Corinne did, every time she made me laugh. And I even wish I documented our progression from being excited but naive new parents, to the realization that our daughter was "different", to receiving her autism diagnosis last spring. I would never want to live it again, but it sure would make for an interesting read.

Being somewhat obsessive/compulsive, I felt like there was just no point in trying to start this whole blog thing, this story of who I am and why, halfway into the drama (assuming I live at least another thirty-something years). It would be an incomplete tale, like coming in halfway through a movie, or the Lost series. I finally decided it was time to stop procrastinating. Who knows what new twists and turns, valleys and hills are coming up in the road. No time like the present. I wasted another month or so stalling as I tried to formulate the perfect intro to my blog and name for my blog and style and format and on and on. Like I said, I'm obsessive. I finally decided that no lengthy introduction was needed, that the most effective blogs I have read were those where the author simply began to write without fanfare, and from there their personality emerged and their story unfolded. I'll try not to get bogged down with trying to be a great writer, full of witty and insightful remarks and vivid details. I promise to settle for just writing what's on my mind and if I amuse or even inspire anyone along the way, well great.

My original choice for a blog name included our surname, which I decided I didn't really want all over the Internet. The "Inc." comes from our our habit of referring to ourselves as though we were a large company. As the coordinator and organizer of this operation, I am the self appointed CEO, and my husband, Pete, the breadwinner, is the CFO. Corinne is our "newest employee" who has been on a "Performance Improvement Plan" since she was about three months old. As for the "Loser" part, well, I think that will become more apparent over time. Trust me.

No comments: