Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Corinne's First Crush

Corinne has developed what can only be described as a crush, on this guy:

He is Zoot, the saxophone player from the Electric Mayhem, the band from the Muppet Show. I mean seriously, how random is that? She is completely smitten with him, for reasons known only to her. She wants to watch our Muppet Show DVD's all the time and every time he is featured (which is hardly ever, and only for the briefest of glimpses) she gets all excited and yells with glee "there's my favorite guy!". She is also thrilled whenever she sees a saxophone in any context, and tells me "that's the ins-ment my guy plays!". The odd thing is that, for whatever reason, she refuses to say his name. She refers to him as "my guy", and if you ask what his name is she gets this funny smile and claims she can't remember. This from the girl who remembers that the cheap blue plastic sippy cup that she found in the back of one of our kitchen cabinets came from "the place where she got her painting shirt", which refers to her blue Minute Man T-shirt, which came from the Minute Man MARCh, which is indeed where she got the cup and was also a year ago! What I'm getting at is the chick doesn't forget much, so I'm not buying that she can't remember Zoot's name, which I have told her about a hundred times.

The other thing she thinks is hilarious is that Zoot doesn't seem to talk. He just plays his sax. So her favorite joke is she'll say something like "do you know what my guy said when I was crying last night? Nothing!!"

I searched high and low for a Zoot anything to give her as a present to soften the blow when Lily was born, but alas the Muppet Show has become "vintage", and obscure characters like Zoot are impossible to find, if they ever existed at all. A tiny plastic figure of him sells for, like, $100 on E-Bay.

Then my friend Meghan (of the candy sushi fame) surprised her (both of us, actually) with a hand-knitted Zoot. It's hilarious and very well crafted. Here he is:

Now she calls him "my guy that Emma's Mommy made me".

I just had to post about this because it gives a nice little insight into the unique, fascinating little person that Corinne is. And to think there was a time I wished she was "normal".

3 comments:

Diane said...

I too have been searching the internet for anything Zoot..to no avail.I am very proud to have introduced her to the muppets, who are my all time favorite! The episode with harry Bellefonte is the favorite here, and I think has a bit of a Zoot solo in it. =-)

Allison said...

You can make custom shirts on cafe press or zazzle...not sure quite how it works, or about licensing of the image. There's also those iron-ons you can get for your inkjet printer (once you're back online) which I have used with success.

Allison said...

Everything you ever wanted to know about Zoot:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Zoot